Networking Devices and Initial Configuration Module 7 – 9 Checkpoint Exam Answers
What statement describes the function of the Address Resolution Protocol?
- ARP is used to discover the IP address of any host on a different network.
- ARP is used to discover the IP address of any host on the local network.
- ARP is used to discover the MAC address of any host on the local network.
- ARP is used to discover the MAC address of any host on a different network.
A user sends an HTTP request to a web server on a remote network. During encapsulation for this request, what information is added to the address field of a frame to indicate the destination?
- the IP address of the default gateway
- the MAC address of the default gateway
- the MAC address of the destination host
- the network domain of the destination host
Refer to the exhibit. PC1 issues an ARP request because it needs to send a packet to PC3. In this scenario, what will happen next?
- RT1 will send an ARP reply with its own Fa0/0 MAC address.
- RT1 will send an ARP reply with its own Fa0/1 MAC address.
- RT1 will forward the ARP request to PC3.
- RT1 will send an ARP reply with the PC3 MAC address.
- SW1 will send an ARP reply with its Fa0/1 MAC address.
Refer to the exhibit.
What does R1 use as the MAC address of the destination when constructing the frame that will go from R1 to Server B?
- The packet is encapsulated into a PPP frame, and R1 adds the PPP destination address to the frame.
- If the destination MAC address that corresponds to the IPv4 address is not in the ARP cache, R1 sends an ARP request.
- R1 leaves the field blank and forwards the data to the PC.
- R1 uses the destination MAC address of S1.
What are two problems that can be caused by a large number of ARP request and reply messages?
- A large number of ARP request and reply messages may slow down the switching process, leading the switch to make many changes in its MAC table.
- The network may become overloaded because ARP reply messages have a very large payload due to the 48-bit MAC address and 32-bit IP address that they contain.
- Switches become overloaded because they concentrate all the traffic from the attached subnets.
- All ARP request messages must be processed by all nodes on the local network.
- The ARP request is sent as a broadcast, and will flood the entire subnet.
ARP requests are sent as broadcasts:
(1) All nodes will receive them, and they will be processed by software, interrupting the CPU.
(2) The switch forwards (floods) Layer 2 broadcasts to all ports.
A switch does not change its MAC table based on ARP request or reply messages. The switch populates the MAC table using the source MAC address of all frames. The ARP payload is very small and does not overload the switch.
Refer to the exhibit. When PC1 wants to send a packet to PC3, the IP address of the device that will respond to the ARP request is
What is the protocol that is used to discover a physical address from a known logical address and what message type does it use?
- DNS, unicast
- PING, broadcast
- ARP, broadcast
- ARP, multicast
- PING, multicast
- DNS, broadcast
Which DHCP IPv4 message contains the following information?
Destination address: 255.255.255.255
Client IPv4 address: 0.0.0.0
Default gateway address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask: 0.0.0.0
Which two tasks can be performed by a local DNS server? (Choose two.)
- mapping name-to-IP addresses for internal hosts
- providing IP addresses to local hosts
- forwarding name resolution requests between servers
- retrieving email messages
- allowing data transfer between two network devices
Which three statements describe a DHCP Discover message? (Choose three.)
- All hosts receive the message, but only a DHCP server replies.
- Only the DHCP server receives the message.
- The message comes from a client seeking an IP address.
- The destination IP address is 255.255.255.255.
- The source MAC address is 48 ones (FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF).
- The message comes from a server offering an IP address.
What IPv4-related DNS record type is used by a DNS server in response to a host requesting for a web server address via the URL?
- MX record
- A record
- AAAA record
- NS record
A DHCP configured PC boots up. What is the order of the messages that are sent and received by this PC in order to obtain an appropriate IP address?
- DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPREQUEST, DHCPOFFER, DHCPACK
- DHCPREQUEST, DHCPOFFER, DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPACK
- DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST, DHCPACK
- DHCPOFFER, DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPREQUEST, DHCPACK
A user reports that the corporate web server cannot be accessed. A technician verifies that the web server can be accessed by its IP address. What are two possible causes of the problem? (Choose two.)
- The web server is misconfigured.
- The network connection is down.
- The default gateway address is misconfigured on the workstation.
- The DNS server address is misconfigured on the workstation.
- The web server information is misconfigured on the DNS server.
Which two commands could be used to check if DNS name resolution is working properly on a Windows PC? (Choose two.)
- ipconfig /flushdns
- nbtstat cisco.com
- nslookup cisco.com
- net cisco.com
- ping cisco.com
The ping command tests the connection between two hosts. When ping uses a host domain name to test the connection, the resolver on the PC will first perform the name resolution to query the DNS server for the IP address of the host. If the ping command is unable to resolve the domain name to an IP address, an error will result.
Nslookup is a tool for testing and troubleshooting DNS servers.
Refer to the exhibit. Host A and the file server have established a TCP session to exchange data. What acknowledgement number will the file server send to host A to acknowledge receipt of the first three segments of data?
What is a socket?
- the combination of the source and destination sequence numbers and port numbers
- the combination of the source and destination sequence and acknowledgment numbers
- the combination of the source and destination IP address and source and destination Ethernet address
- the combination of a source IP address and port number or a destination IP address and port number
A client is establishing a TCP session with a server. How is the acknowledgment number in the response segment to the client determined?
- The acknowledgment number field uses a random source port number in response to the client.
- The acknowledgment number is set to 1 to signify an acknowledgment packet back to the client.
- The acknowledgment number is set to 11 to signify an acknowledgment packet and synchronization packet back to the client.
- The acknowledgment number field is modified by adding 1 to the randomly chosen initial sequence number in response to the client.
A host device needs to send a large video file across the network while providing data communication to other users. Which feature will allow different communication streams to occur at the same time, without having a single data stream using all available bandwidth?
- window size
- port numbers
What TCP mechanism is used to enhance performance by allowing a device to continuously send a steady stream of segments as long as the device is also receiving necessary acknowledgements?
- three-way handshake
- socket pair
- two-way handshake
- sliding window
What does a client application select for a TCP or UDP source port number?
- a random value in the range of the registered ports
- a predefined value in the well-known port range
- a predefined value in the range of the registered ports
- a random value in the well-known port range
Which two TCP header fields are used to confirm receipt of data? (Choose two.)
- sequence number
- acknowledgment number